Sunday, June 22, 2008

Friend or Foe?

Lately, I've been learning new sides to my friends, and some of them aren't too pretty. Like the responses to my Prince Charming post from my friends that were SO off base it's like they weren't even listening to me. They just heard the same old "Oh, poor little old me doesn't have a boyfriend" whine, and responded in turn with comments like "You don't need anyone, you have your self!" or "We love you and will always be there for you!" And while such comments are appreciated, they were not helpful in the least.

That post was not about wanting someone to come and sweep me off my feet. It was about not needing that, but at the same time needing someone to point me in the right direction and giving me some hope because right now I'm a little lost and am on the brink of giving up (sometimes, not all the time). And telling someone who is depressed and has very little love for themselves to look inside for the love and support they need is naive, to say the least.

Or the friend who kindly asked if my "hitting the bottle a lot lately" was wise considering my medication. To which my immediate response was "What!?!?" I have no idea where she got the notion that I've been drinking my face off, but there are definitely far better ways to ask that question. In fact, I'm still so mad at her for that, that I've kind of been avoiding her lately, just because I know I will respond with something that is going to make her mad, and then there will be a big fight, and it will get very messy... So I'm trying to calm down about it and think of a reasonable response, but I just can't right now.

It's strange that in trying to find yourself you find out things about your friends that make you re-evaluate how much they influence the decisions you make. How much influence do your friends have on you?

No comments: